Can Dogs Eat Bread at Thanksgiving?
Safe Foods to Feed Your Pets During the Holidays
As holiday feasting begins, there is no doubt our dogs will want to join in. Who can resist the smell of fresh bread baking in the oven and the feelings of love as everyone gathers around the table? Not us, and certainly not our pets.
While small bites of unbuttered bread are completely safe for our pets, the yeast in raw dough can be a digestive problem. There are several holiday foods that are unhealthy (or dangerous) for dogs, even though they may beg for them. But you won’t feel so bad about saying no if you have some tempting treats to offer instead.
Here is a quick list of foods your dog should avoid this holiday season, followed by some yummy alternatives that will have him joining in the celebration with you:
Avoid Feeding the Following Foods to Your Dog
- Raw bread dough (the yeast can cause dangerous bloating)
- Fat and trimmings from meats (this rich food can cause digestive issues)
- Grapes (even small amounts can be fatally toxic)
- Bones – especially cooked bones (can splinter and cause lacerations of the intestines)
- Nuts – particularly Macadamia nuts and some walnuts (can cause toxic poisoning)
- Unfermented dairy products such as milk or ice cream (the lactose can cause abdominal pain)
- Onions – contain an ingredient called thiosulphate that is highly toxic to both dogs and cats.
Safe Foods for Your Dog
- Cooked turkey (remove the skin)
- Sweet potatoes (slice thinly and bake at 250 degrees for 3 hours for a crunchy treat!)
- Cooked green beans (tasty and full of vitamins and fiber)
- Cooked eggs (for a special holiday breakfast)
- Plain yogurt – if your dog seems to tolerate it well (the probiotics can strengthen the immune system)
Our schedules fill up quickly during the holidays, especially Thanksgiving!
Whether you are going out of town or entertaining guests, book your VIP sitter now to make sure your pet is cozy and cared for throughout the holiday.
Schedule your Thanksgiving service by November 12th to take advantage of our early bird special for $10 off!
Your booking must include at least 4 standard or premium visits.
(Cannot be combined with other discounts or promotions.)