Well, summer is here!
Bring on the summer sun, the heat, and the humidity!
Can you see why July is Pet Hydration Awareness Month?
As animal lovers, the amount of information we read on a daily basis can sometimes be overwhelming. However, we at VIP Pets think that this national month by Pet Safe is actually so important. With July being the hottest month in the year and many states yet again set to reach record-breaking temperatures, we have to think about our four-legged friends.
Did you know that while the human body is made up of 60% water, dogs are actually around 80% water? It is crucial, according to Petsafe, to give dogs one ounce of water per pound of body weight.
Most pets simply don’t reach their required amount of water, causing dehydration, and in some cases, severe sickness, and even death.
What are the signs of dehydration?
- Sunken eyes
- Loss of appetite
- Dry mouth
What should I do if my dog is dehydrated?
- Perform the skin test
- The skin test is quite simple to perform – simply grab a fold of your pet’s skin on the back of the neck and release. If it snaps back into place, your pet should be fine. However, if it is a slow-release, it is probable that your pet is dehydrated, and you should contact your vet.
- Take them to the vet immediately
- Provide them with fresh water
- Monitor their water intake, especially during summer!!
Recipe: Homemade Doggialyte
- Two cups of juice (one cup being cranberry, another one of your choice)
- Two cups of coconut water
- Three tablespoons of sugar
- One-half tablespoon of salt
- Heat the juice on medium heat, add sugar and salt, and stir until dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Add coconut water
- You can either serve as is, or freeze it into ice cubes for a really hot day!
We hope that these tips help you keep your pet safe and healthy this July! Remember that should you need to use a dog walker this summer, VIP Pets are all certified, bonded, and insured to take the BEST care of your pet. And that includes plenty of water breaks on all their walks!