If you’re looking to decrease your carbon footprint and live life a little greener, it’s time to invest in an eco-friendly pet! At VIP Pet Services we believe in caring for our planet the way it cares for us. So, we have gathered up a few tips for an eco-friendlier, green lifestyle with your pets.
- Purchase eco-friendly pet products. Nowadays, there are plenty of eco-friendly food products, shampoos, biodegradable kitty litter and other biodegradable and recycled products. Try to also avoid plastic when possible and use eco-friendly products. Did you know the VIP Pet Services store stocks some wonderful, environmentally-friendly products? Check out the flea and tick control, yard spray and specialty shampoos.
- Consider composting your pet’s waste. Did you know pet waste can be particularly hazardous pollutants? There are many ways your pet’s waste compost can be highly efficient. Just be sure not to use it for plants or produce meant for human consumption.
- Purchase eco-friendly pet toys. There are many options, especially for cats, that are dye-free, recycled or upcycled, and even made out of organic materials. Consider also donating old toys instead of just throwing them away.
- Upcycle pet food bags. Unfortunately, pet food bags are not recyclable, but there are ways you can upcycle them. Wash them up and use them to store paint brushes, or turn them into other useful household items.
- Use biodegradable or flushable poop bags. Most of us are good about picking up after dogs, but how do we do that without using so much plastic? Thankfully, there are now biodegradable pick-up bags and also flushable ones.
- Donate toys and other goods. Donate unused or almost new toys and other items such as blankets, bowls, or beds to shelters or others who don’t mind hand me downs.
- Spay or neuter your pet. By not spaying or neutering your pets, you contribute to the already millions of stray pets that roam around or wind up in shelters. Sadly, many of these pets are euthanized. Reducing the number of homeless animals conserves important resources, such as food and energy. Some strays also become feral and they can be harmful to many other animals.
- Adopt a pet. One of the best ways to be an eco-friendly pet owner is to adopt. There are millions of homeless pets in shelters who need a home, and those who are not adopted are often euthanized. This also helps the overpopulation of many shelters.
Imagine the positive environmental impact you and your pets could have by adopting some, if not all, of these eco-friendly habits. We at VIP Pet Services hope you’ll consider taking these steps to help improve our environment.